Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I am an unofficial American

My host mom and I at the host family party one of the last days of training

half of the group

thats right, according to the US embassy security team, we Peace Corps volunteers are unofficial Americans since we have to take taxi brousse rides. Apparently its official US policy for official americans to stay out of taxis and taxi brousses. well we can't do that. we have to take taxi brousses to get around. hence, we have become unofficial americans. i expected nothing less. speaking of expectations.....

I AM NOW AN OFFICIAL PEACE CORPS VOLUNTEER!!!!!!!!

(im using the word official a lot. sorry bout that). I swore in this morning in a ceremony that was short, sweet and to the point. loved it. we had to dress up so we all looked fancy. because the ceremony was in Tana, we had to get up at like 530 this morning to make it into Tana by the 10am ceremony. it was brutal, especially since we all stayed up late the night before to be together one last time. we had a reception right after the swear in and then it was off to get my mail and my money! i had a lot of mail (once again, from just brian and my parents so people PLEASE step it up!) and i got the next 9 days living allowance. i then headed off to the cookie shop, which is basically an American coffee ship that has delicious food. its kinda embarrassing how much money i spent there so im not going to say how much it really was. i did have an amazing bbq chicken sandwich and a brownie sundae so i was supremely happy. then it was off to jumbo, a big target-like store, to pick up a gas stove and other essentials for the next 2 years. then back to the MEVA for some r & r. i think we are headed out to dinner later, though i am running low on funds after the cookie shop.

the fact i am going to be here for 2 years is hitting me hard. i can't believe that i haven't even started my countdown yet, since my COS date is sept 29. so I have another week to go before its 2 years. crazy! I am starting to be realize i really must be crazy for coming halfway around the world (cause i am literally halfway around the world) to work for free for 2 years in a country where i don't know the language and won't know anyone. im nuts. so send me food so i don't go crazy. and books, and dvds and anything form america. my friend katie had a great idea, which was to write down all the books she will read here so she knows. i am going to steal that idea and post it all on here, so you can see the ones i have already read and know not to get those books. so here they are!

East of Eden
The Sun Also Rises
The Inheritance of Loss
A Walk in the Woods
a trashy romance novel whose name i can't remember and i have passed on the book so oh well
Drink, Play, F***
The English Patient
Brazil

I think theres more but im blanking. i will fill it in later if i remember. ok well i guess thats all i have to say right now. i will post my new address as soon as i have it! miss everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Megan!

    It's Matt (from days of ol' - PacSun at Northgate) - wanted to say congrats on the Peace Corp and to starting a new adventure; your FaceBook post reminded me you're out in the middle of somewhere doing something. My wife and I live in Canada now, and I'd be stoked to send you a letter once you get your address up. Also, on the books front, I use www.goodreads.com to keep track of things I read and things I liked/didn't so friends can make book recommendations. Just a thought, as I realize you might not have consistent internet access.

    Anyway, stay well and drop me a line!

    Cheers,
    matt

    ReplyDelete